Friday, August 26, 2011

Liberty Sucks

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." - Evelyn Beatrice Hall

I've been a libertarian since 2004.  I have argued passionately about its various causes with people on both sides (and sometimes completely off) the political spectrum.  The truth about liberty, though, is that it completely sucks.

Liberty sucks because it requires us to defend those with whom we disagree most passionately.  Though I disagree with drug users, drunk drivers, the Nation of Islam and the KKK, I am compelled by my belief in liberty to support their right to practice their beliefs, so long as those beliefs don't intrude upon the rights of others.  My doctrine of faith dictates that homosexuality is a sin, yet I find myself agreeing that gays should have the right to marry (legally, anyway...not the right to compel a church to perform a gay wedding). 

It just doesn't seem worth it unless I keep the big picture in mind.  The big picture is that others find what I do offensive, too.  I want protection for my right to behave as I best see fit.  In that desire, I have to surrender to being offended myself.  I have to accept that this world is filled with what I disagree.  It sucks.  But it's the only way we can all share the space. 

No comments:

Post a Comment